Wednesday 14 March 2012

Workout/Exercise Appropriate Routines

     So since my last post was talking about routines, I figured I could talk about some other routines that have been changed in my life. As previously stated I am a varsity golfer and I have developed my own pre-season, seasonal, and post-season/off-season workout routines. These have been adjusted given the current situation. Below is a comparison of what I used to do to what is now suggested by the doctor:



Cardio - Old Routine included walking, jogging, elliptical, cross trainer, bike, swimming, yoga - all at high intensity 
           - New Routine includes walking, jogging, yoga, swimming at a low-moderate intensity 

Weights - Old Routine included body weight, free weights, and machines - as heavy as my body could handle
             - New Routine includes body weights and light free weights 

Muscle Groups - Old Routine included whole body workouts, specifically working on the core 
                        - New Routine includes arms with free weights, only squats and lunges for legs, and hip rotations but no hardcore core workouts - nothing strenuous or stressful is allowed 

     It was a hard adjustment not doing some of my old workouts, and I think not listening to the doctor from the start resulted in some of my early discomforts. That has scared me to stop working out, but now my body is feeling the need for it. So I think it time to step it up again, stay in shape, but just listen to my body. I mean many athletes have done it and their babies seem fine. Plus summer is just around the corner and my first golf game will be this weekend and my first golf tournament within the next couple months. I am sure that having my energy back, now that I am in the second trimester, will help me stay on track. 
     Note: every pregnancy is different so if you are thinking of using my new workout suggestions it would be recommended that you double check with your own OB/doctor before trying anything new. Otherwise keep fit and have fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment