Tuesday 28 February 2012

TEE for Two

     The critical period is finally over.... I can now expose myself and show the excitement I am hiding inside.  I am pregnant :) 3 months now and while my sport may still be in the off season I still consider myself to be an athlete.  I will say though a more cautious athlete now.  I am not sure how the basketball athletes did it, but once the bump started growing it felt like my abs were being ripped apart. There was no accompanying pain, it's just the only way I can describe the feeling.  I have only a little baby bump now, but this little thing inside has already caused tremendous changes.  I am still excited to go forward.
     I am taking our adventure to the next level, tee for two.  We will be out as often as possible during the season, playing on the links.  I am sure modifications will be necessary, but I want to see how being pregnant affects a golf athlete.  I already have an idea about how things are going to change with my recent playing experience.
     We had a golf fundraiser not too long ago in which I was unsure about, so I did not register a team.  I did, however, get the chance to still swing the club for a few hits.  Playing with the irons was fine, actually quite normal, but the driver is what made me more cautious.  There was no real warm up which may have been a contributing factor, along with the fact that I just went up and tried to kill the ball.  After my first swing it felt like I ripped an internal lining away from my skin.  It was definitely weird and uncomfortable, but not as painful as it sounds.  The ball hit the side wall and I was slightly embarrassed, but I think it was more the feelings inside that threw me off.  Maybe I was trying too hard.  I attempted it again, hit my regular slice but still felt awkward.  Needless to say that was the last of my driver experience until after I consult with my doctor.  I have read other pregnant golfers stories, which are all positive, so I am sure once I get used to the situation and become more comfortable things will change.
     My doctor and I have already begun adjusting my workout routines.  Now that we are heading into the second trimester, I have a feeling that some of the excluded activities can now be added back.
     I am still anxious to go out with my friends and play some golf with a huge baby bump.  I find the image to be funny but the experience to be memorable.
     My blogging is now going to be more personal as I follow my adventure through this pregnancy and my desire to play golf and stay active.


No comments:

Post a Comment